“A weed is a plant that has mastered every survival skill except for learning how to grow in rows.”--Doug Larson
As you might have observed that some people are progressing fast in their career path and some people are not progressing enough despite their potential.Even though there may be many external factors contribute to the growth, the choice of mindset and personal qualities exhibited by the individual contributes significantly. The individual either possesses a growth mindset or survival mindset and accordingly demonstrates the behavior in a professional environment.
Let us understand the two categories of people and qualities
Growth Mindset and qualities:
- They always eager to learn something new
- They accept the challenges and do the mental risk calculation
- Always look for the opportunity to contribute during interaction, crisis moment and do their best
- Generally they do not bother much about their defined target set by others and go beyond
- Their thinking and solution approach is always one step ahead of current titles
Survival Mindset and qualities:
- They do what is given or asked to do
- When opportunities given, they have always found the reason why can not be done
- Being in the same environment, they are always complaining others
- They always depend on someone or forum to take a decision
- They refer to the rules and processes frequently
Being in survival mindset is not a big issue if it is a conscious choice of the individual.However the awareness of the above mindset will help you to change yourself into growth mindset and you attract good things in life!